Thursday, June 29, 2006

Some phonies never change

Ahhh, Joe Biden. I remember back in the late 80's when I was clerking at the national desk of the NYT and Maureen Dowd broke a great story. Joe Biden, running for President, as always, used a stump speech that described the days of his childhood. His description was stolen word-for-word from the campaign stump speech of a British politician, Neil Kinnock. Once exposed, Biden dropped out of the race.

A quarter of a century has since passed. Joe Biden, still running for President, told a group of young supporters last Thursday that he doesn't want the job all that bad.

“I’d rather be at home making love to my wife while my children are asleep,” he said.

As Ariana Huffington points out:

Biden's youngest child is his 25-year-old daughter and his two sons are in their mid-30s. So does the Bidens' foreplay include a quick call to his children to make sure they're all asleep (and wouldn't this defeat the purpose by waking them up?).